The story of this memorial can be found in the July 24, 2003 issue of The Provincetown Banner in an article "Moving Memorials" by Laurel Guadazno. The memorial was erected in 1921 as part of the 300th anniversary celebration of the landing of the Pilgrims. It was first located at the foot of High Pole Hill Road. In 1969 the memorial stone was moved to Bas Relief Park on Bradford Street behind Town Hall. William Butten (as spelled on the Memorial) is more commonly known as William Button. Photograph supplied by Provincetown Library November 2003.